Hormone replacement therapy is now a widely available treatment option that’s growing in popularity among women over the age of 35, specifically those who feel run-down, prone to weight gain (sometimes for the first time in their lives) and out of other options when it comes to managing symptoms of menopause. Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy (BHRT) can help balance these hormones and improve certain conditions.
3 types of hormones that are typically prescribed by doctors are:
Estrogens actually refers to a group of related hormones, each with a unique profile of activity. Under normal circumstances, a woman’s circulating estrogen levels fluctuate based on her menstrual cycle.
For Hormone Replacement Therapy, these hormones are often prescribed in combination to re-establish a normal physiologic balance. The three main estrogens produced in female humans are:
- E1 (Estrone; 10-20% of circulating estrogens) is the primary estrogen produced after menopause.
- E2 (Estradiol; 10-30% of circulating estrogens) is the most potent and major secretory product of the ovary, and the predominant estrogen produced before menopause.
- E3 (60-80% of circulating estrogens)
- is commonly prescribed for peri-menopausal women to counteract “estrogen dominance” which occurs when a woman produces smaller amounts of progesterone than normal relative to estrogen levels.
- alone, or combined with estrogen, may improve Bone Mineral Density.
- minimizes the risk of endometrial cancer in women who are receiving estrogen.
- is preferred by women who had previously taken synthetic progestins.
Hormones that are important to the integrity of skin, muscle, and bone in both males and females, and have an important role in maintaining libido.
Androgens, such as testosterone and DHEA:
- enhance libido.
- enhance bone building (increase calcium retention).
- provide cardiovascular protection (lower cholesterol)
- improve energy level and mental alertness.
Benefits of Hormone Replacement Therapy include:
– Helps eliminate or reduce hot flashes and night sweats
– Accelerates fat burning for increased weight loss
– Enhances overall sexual experience: sex drive, libido and prevents vaginal dryness
– Increases energy and reduces depression
– Improves sleep
Here at LivWell we can create BHRT medications (Estrogen, Progesterone, Testosterone, DHEA, Pregnenolone, & Thyroid) in the following delivery forms:
- Transdermal Creams & Gels
- Vaginal Suppositories
Loss of muscle mass
Irregular or Painful Periods
Tender or fibrocystic breasts